Parent Resources


It is important to know more about mental health during the college years and proactive steps that can help you support your student if needed. Key Takeaways from the “Starting Your Conversation” Guide. Starting a family conversation about mental health is beneficial for everyone. Conversations allow you to plan for what to do if you or someone you know experiences distress or a mental health condition—or if an existing condition gets worse. Remember these key points:

  • College is an exciting time in life and an important time to maintain self-care and find ways to manage stress.

  •  Mental health conditions are common among college students.

  •  Know the common warning signs and what to do if you experience one or more.

  •  If you need help, reach out. You are not alone, and help is available on campus and in the community.

  • Decide what information you want shared with family and trusted friends and be proactive about letting your school know.

A Quick Reference Guide for Helping Troubled Students


  • Communication indicates loss of touch with reality

  • Communication reflects suicidal thoughts or actions, depression, anxiety, or difficulty dealing with grief

Contact the Counseling Center at 360-650-3164 in Old Main 540


  • Communication indicates having been a victim of a stalking, harassment, hazing, or other crime

  • Communication reflects sexual assault or relationship violence

Consultation and Sexual Assault Support (CASAS) at 360-650-3400 in Old Main 585B


  • Has not attended class for an extended period of time

  • Is overwhelmed by a problem with the university

  • Is debilitated or overwhelmed by a family emergency

  • Substantially impairs, interferes with or obstructs orderly processes and functions of the university

  • Deliberately interferes with instruction or office procedures

  • Does something significantly out of character

  • Acts peculiar and this is cause for alarm

  • Displays unhealthy or dangerous patterns of behavior

  • Appears to be under the influence or coping with the effects of substance use

  • Continues to seem distressed despite prior referrals made

Contact Office of Student Life at 360-650-3706 in Viking Union 506

Student behavior that:

  • Is lewd or indecent

  • Breaches the peace

  • Threatening the safety of self or others

  • Acting in a frightening or threatening manner

  • Is not leaving the classroom after being asked to leave

  • Is reporting or initiating a threat or bomb scare

Contact University Police at 360-650-3911 in Campus Safety